Online Distance Workshops for Global Procurement
ADR designed, developed and delivered a program of online distance workshops for Dell’s global procurement team. Online distance workshops are in-company training courses involving colleagues who are globally dispersed, and who access the course via an online virtual classroom tool. A tutor leads the course in real time, facilitating the class to take part in interactive collaborative activities such as polls, quizzes, chat and whiteboard exercises. Participants enjoy a classroom experience whilst staying in their normal working location.
The course topics were essential foundation learning elements of the Dell procurement accreditation program, meaning that all procurement professionals globally were required to successfully complete the courses in order to secure their qualification within 2 years of commencing their role. This important accreditation route is for both experienced and new professionals, to ensure everyone has a consistent tool set.
Each course was scheduled in 2 sessions, one for learners based in North America and Europe and a second for learners based in Asia. This would accommodate a range of time zones and allow learners to select the course which most suited their working schedule.
Working closely with Dell, ADR created a program that would meet the client’s learning objectives, which were:
- Excellent participant feedback, measured through training evaluations.
- Accreditation for the learners, measured by their attendance and participation at all sessions.
- Usefulness of the learning in professionals’ daily work.
- Positive marketing, as measured by participants’ confirmation that they would recommend the course to others.
ADR designed the content to match the Dell strategic sourcing approach. To maximize engagement, ADR built in several interactive features, supported by Dell’s virtual classroom application:
- “Polls” where participants could express preferences and opinion on behavioural approaches.
- “Voting” in response to quiz questions.
- Text chat – for quick queries and response.
- Whiteboards – for brainstorming topics.
Participants enjoyed their active involvement of the distance workshops, demonstrated in their feedback:
“The instructor had the ability to maintain class interest and facilitate group discussion”.
The course met the learning objectives as follows:
- Full accreditation to the learners registered for each event.
- 83% of learners said they could apply the skills they learned straight away in their job.
- 100% of learners would recommend the course to others.